Here at Hexagon we have a thing for Porsche cars, especially air-cooled ones.
Here are some fun facts you might not have known about the marque.
1. Porsche built its first car in 1948, the 356.
2. Porsche leads the world in rust prevention. A survey of 10-year-old cars showed that only 0.8% of Porsches showed any sign of rust compared to an industry average of 20%.
3. The 911 was originally called the 901, but Peugeot had rights to all three figure numbers with a central digit of ‘0’, therefore 911 was selected as the name.
4. Porsche has had side impact bars fitted since 1985.
5. Since 1975 Porsche chassis have been made out of galvanized zinc steel.
6. The 911 was the first production sports car in the world with exhaust turbocharging.
7. In one hour a 911 moves over three times its own weight of air over the engine to keep it cool (approximately 4,500 kgs).
8. Porsche was the first manufacturer to fit ABS brakes and catalytic converters as standard on all models.
9. The 911 was the first car in the world to be fitted with a space saver tyre.
10. The 928 was voted European Car of the Year in 1978. It remains the only sports car ever to have won this accolade.