Jaguar XK120 Roadster (1951) | Hexagon

1951 Jaguar XK 120 Roadster

Right Hand Drive: UK Supplied: Original Registration No.

The XK120 Roadster was launched in roadster form at the 1948 London Motor Show as a test bed and show car for the new Jaguar XK engine. It caused such a sensation which persuaded Jaguar founder and design boss William Lyons to put it into production. The “120” in its name referred to its 120 mph (193 km/h) top speed (faster with the windscreen removed), which made the Jaguar the world’s fastest standard production car at the time of its launch. To meet demand it was necessary for the mass-production versions, beginning with the 1950 model year, to have pressed-steel bodies, but retained aluminium doors, bonnet, and boot lid.

Our magnificent example #660901 was supplied new on the 1st December 1951 to HG Sissons and supplied via official Jaguar distributor Ernest W Hatfield of Sheffield, Yorkshire. The Jaguar was commissioned to be built in Silver with Red Hide as the car is presented today together with the cars original registration number RRA 188.

The last owner Sir Henry Elwes the ex Lord Lieutenant of Gloucestershire who was also knighted in the 2009 Queen’s Birthday Honor’s list was appointed Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order for his services in political and public services acquired the XK120 on the 2nd January 1969 and was the custodian of the Jaguar for some 43 years ! Sir Henry was also a “Gold Badge Holder” of the Jaguar Drivers Club which is only issued to a select few who have held membership of the club for 50 years!

During his ownership he conducted a detailed restoration completed by TT Workshops Ltd of Westbury, Wiltshire whom are regarded as one of the UK leading restoration companies whose restoration works have achieved concours de elegance awards from some of the world leading events; Cartier, Luis Vuitton, Pebble Beach are just amongst others to name a few. This restoration was completed in 1977 and the Jaguar was subsequently tested yearly covering just over 17,000 miles in 33 years!

The documented restoration includes:

• Strip to bare chassis re-paint and underseal
• Engine strip, re-bored, crank re-ground, head restored with new valve seats
• Gearbox re-build with new bearings
• Steering box re-built. All new chassis bearings
• New front and rear wings, new sills and shut-face pillars, new boot lid and hood
• Resprayed in cellulose, new carpets and cockpit surround to original specification
• Rewired and Starter and Dynamo rebuilt

Accompanying the motorcar is a very comprehensive historical chassis file to include:

• Original Factory Body Design Template
• Original Service Data Report (1951)
• Original Lucas Electrical Diagram
• Manufacturers Parts Lists
• Various Period Road Test Reports
• Original (Green) Registration Books
• Original Mot’s Dating Back to 1980
• Original Road Fund License Tax Disc’s Dating Back to 1984
• Jaguar Heritage Certificate (No. 38046)