The design of the Aston Martin DB4 began in 1956 at the same time as the DB Mark III. Both cars were revealed together at the London Motor show in 1958. To move Aston Martin forward, every component of the car was brand new. This included all the body that was redesigned in a four-seat configuration. The work and design were carried out Carrozzeria Touring of Milan, using their ‘Superleggera’ construction method. This involved fixing aluminium panels to a tubular frame that was built onto a chassis platform. The engine was designed by Aston Martin’s chief designer, Tadek Marek. It was a 3.7 litre DOHC straight six that was first demonstrated and used when Aston Martin raced the DBR2. In DB4 guise, the engine produced 240 bhp and enabled the car to reach 140 mph. Also, thanks to new Dunlop Servo assisted disc brakes all round, the DB4 became the first production car to be able to go from 0 to 100mph and then back to 0 again in under 30 seconds.
The car on offer today is approaching the final stages of a three year long, ground up restoration. The work done to the car has covered every nut and bolt to ensure that the finished product is exceptional. All the work has been carried out by renowned Aston Martin specialists, Aston Engineering.
All the work carried out has been extensively detailed and is available for viewing with the car. The car has been certified by the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust to further showcase the exquisiteness of the car.
The car is a series 5 model DB4 Vantage and features a 4.2 litre special series engine. This came with triple SU Carburettors and vertical breathers. It is an original UK, right-hand drive car with an extensive history. It is presented California sage, teemed with a green Vamoul leather interior. This is a rare opportunity to acquire a superb DB4 Vantage that is ready go from the off. The car will be available shortly for viewing at out London showroom.